The Washington Apple strain of cannabis is a pretty rare, 100% pure Indica strain. It was created through crossbreeding the well-known Pez and Ortega strains.
To get a full understanding of the Washington Apple strain, we need to take a quick look at the parent strains:
- Pez = a 50% Sativa, 50% Indica hybrid strain, Pez is well known for its candy-sweet scent (hence its candy shop-inspired name). It is said that Pez can be useful for treating anxiety ADHD, anxiety, and day-to-day stress. Pez boasts high levels of THC – which usually tests between 15% and 20%, but has been registered at 23% before. The CBD level is far lower, probable making Pez ineffectual when treating epilepsy, migraine headaches, multiple sclerosis, and other conditions that are aided with CBD. The flavor is sweet, with fruity and floral notes. In appearance, it is light green, with orange hairs, and a decent layer of crystals. Side effects that users can expect are dry mouth and red eyes.
- Ortega = a 100% pure Indica hybrid strain, produced by crossbreeding the very powerful Northern Lights #1 and Northern Lights #5. Generally, this bud is known for having a stronger version of classic indica sedative high, likely because of the high THC content (which, on average, is 17%, though it has been recorded as upwards of 28%). The clear-headed high starters nearly immediately, and there is a pain-relieving buzz in the forehead and eyes. This slowly builds up into a stoney, sleepy head high. This feeling will flow through your body, leaving you feeling relaxed and sedated. During the comedown, you will likely be lulled into a deep, peaceful sleep (you will be stirrable if needed). Because of these effects, the Ortega strain is a favorite for the treatment of insomnia, migraine and cluster headaches, chronic anxiety, and depression. In appearance, the buds are dark olive green, with a rich purple undertone, dark amber hairs, and a thin layer of clear crystal trichomes. In taste, Ortega has a spice berry top note, with a deeper, earthy note.
The Washington Apple strain was created by Red Eyed Genetics, a wholesale cannabis seed breeder. They are a fully family-owned brand, which originated in the Pacific North West.
As a company, they started out their journey with a single seed (an Ortega male from Mr. Nice Seeds), and began testing out their first crosses.
Their first truly successful crossed strain was The White Lotus, which went on to become one of the flagship products of the company.
This is because the plant sports heavy branches that are swarming with tricomes and flowers. It grows above the average height of cannabis plants and emanates the aromas of incense and gas.
After the success of The White Lotus strain, Red Eyed genetics has gone from strength to strength, producing other popular strains, such as Locktite, Emerald City Cookies, Blueberry Iced Cream, Golden Glue, and, of course, Washington Apple.
This seed bank has become known among growers and customers alike for its high-quality range of seeds, which are bursting with beneficial actives, like terpenes, pistils, and trichomes.
This cannabis strain has fluffy, popcorn-shaped nugs, that have an olive green color, and have bright orange thin, fuzzy hairs, as well as a coating of frosty bright white crystal trichomes.
The flavor has been described as extremely pleasing for the palate – with flavors that register as sour candy apple, super sweet citrus, and dry apple cider, with more general notes of musk, ripe fruit, and rich orange.
Although you can smell the sweetness, its flavor intensifies as the nugs are broken apart and burned.
Washington Apple has an aroma of sour fruits and rich, citrusy oranges, with a sweet undertone that is intensified when the bud is broken and smoked.
There are more than 100 types of cannabinoids in all strains of cannabis. Some of the most notable cannabinoids are CBD (cannabidiol), THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), and CBN (cannabinol), and they are some of the most extensively researched active ingredients ever.
They interact with your body’s endocannabinoid system.
Washington Apple has a high average THC level, registering as being between 22% and 25%. Due to the strain’s parents and lineage, it is assumed that it has a high CBD content, although there is no available data on the exact percentage.
Unfortunately, there has also been no published research on the CNB levels in the Washington Apple cannabis strain, although it is also assumed to be relatively quite high.
As an active ingredient, THC is primarily known for its psychoactive effects, as it is the compound in cannabis that gets you high, and gives you that buzz.
In addition to this, it also relieves pain, reduces feelings of nausea, reduces anxiety and inflammation.
A high THC content in a strain means that you will feel the cerebral and physical effects of the strain more quickly and more strongly. Strains with high THC levels also have less smoke overall.
As an active ingredient, CBD is known for commonly being used to treat pain and anxiety, among other conditions. Recently, it has started to be used as a potential treatment for neurodegenerative diseases, like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis.
It also improves sleep quality, reduces the time taken to fall asleep and restlessness.
As an active ingredient, CBN is known for its neuroprotective benefits, anti-inflammatory effects, pain-relieving ability, and sleep benefits. It is the least researched cannabinoid of the three.
There isn’t much information on the dominant terpenes of Washington Apple specifically, but as it is a 100% Indica strain, we can take a look at the predominant terpenes found in Indica strains.
There are five main terpenes found in high quantities of Indica strains – myrcene, beta-caryophyllenen, linalool, limonene, and humulene.
- Myrcene – this terpene plays a big role in whether a strain is considered as indica or sativa. Generally, if the myrcene concentration is higher than .5%, it is considered indica. It is an important terpene due to the ‘entourage effect’, i.e. it increases the efficacy of other active ingredients (such as cannabinoids and other terpenes) by increasing the permeability of the blood-brain barrier.
- Beta-caryophyllene – this spicy terpene is one of the few terpenes that can directly interact with CB2 receptors in the endocannabinoid system. This makes it a great mood elevator and has anti-inflammatory effects, as it reduces oxidative stress in your cells.
- Linalool – this has floral, lavender smell and taste notes, and much like lavender, it is very soothing and relaxing. It has strong stress-reducing and sedative properties.
- Limonene – as suggested by the name, limonene is found in citrus fruit, like lemons, grapefruit, and oranges. It has a bright flavor and has mood-elevating effects, as well as instilling a sense of calm and serene relaxation.
- Humulene – responsible for the stereotypical cannabis scent, making the plant smell herbal and hoppy. It has an ability to reduce inflammation that is comparable to that of prescription steroids. It also has analgesic properties, making it good for helping users cope with aches and pains.
Strain Side Effects
The Washington Apple strain seems to be subject to all the usual side effects that come with marijuana usage. According to Cannafo, 99% of users have a dry mouth, 86% have dry eyes, 16% experience a headache after use, and 13% experience feelings of paranoia.
The high THC content (usually between 22% and 25%) means that the Washington Apple strain is great for use by those who suffer from conditions like chronic stress, anxiety, insomnia, and depression.
- Insomina – the cannabinoid content in this strain means that it has a strong, relaxing sedative effect, that helps to soothe any feelings of restlessness, and lull you into a peaceful, deep sleep. This strain is the best friend of any sleepless insomniacs.
- Chronic stress, pain, and anxiety – the combination of cannabinoids and terpenes help to interfere with maladaptive nerve signals, that result in chronic pain, stress, and anxiety. Washington Apple will help you chill out, and relax by providing you with pain and stress relief.
- Depression – Washington Apple is known for its beneficial effects on mood, and its ability to produce a feeling of general, overall wellbeing. The most commonly reported feelings after smoking or ingesting are happiness, focus, feelings of upliftedness, and a general tingly sensation in the body.
Washington Apple seems like the perfect merger of these two powerful strains.
As Pez has a high THC content, and Ortiga has a high CBD content, Washington Apple seems to have received the best of both worlds during the crossbreeding.
The relaxing effects make it best to smoke this strain on lazy evenings, where you haven’t got much to do that night. The high begins behind the eyes, and you’ll feel uplifted and relaxed nearly immediately.
This spreads to the rest of your mind, and through your body, leaving you calm, uplifted, euphoric, and a little unfocused. Your body will begin to tingle, and feel incredibly deeply relaxed, without feeling too much sedation.
Strain Grow Info
The seeds have never been available as feminized seeds, so Washington Apple is a male variety. This strain is seen as rare, but as its popularity seems to be increasing, more retailers are both stocking seeds (as well as dispensaries stocking the bud itself).
Seed retailers and seed banks seem to rate the strain as easy to medium difficulty to cultivate successfully. As the crop yield is heavy, a poorly grown plant will still produce a decent (but smaller) crop.
Strain Flowering Time
Washington Apple cannabis strain is well known for its monstrous indoor bud production, with about two pounds of harvestable buds per plant per season. The plants grow to be around medium height for cannabis.
Usually, this strain flowers within 56 to 63 days of planting (so long as they are grown in the right conditions), although if in a rush, they can flower as early as 49 days.
They prefer to be grown in humid greenhouse conditions. If grown outdoors, their finish time is typically around early October.